[whatwg] Re: pattern attribute

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:01:26 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Malcolm Rowe wrote:

> Hmm, good question. ECMAScript defines only the RegExp object's
> 'ignoreCase' and 'multiline' as modifiers, from what I can see. Of
> those, the only one that's really relevant, I think, is ignoreCase. It
> certainly might be useful to be able to define whether a pattern is
> case-insensitive or not.

Yeah -- if someone can come up with a way to define that, maybe we can add
it to WF3 if people find they need it.

> We used to have a comment that defined the value for the 'multiline'
> ECMAScript property, though that seems not to be present in the current
> draft - I'm not sure why.

I'd commented it out because it was the default anyway. I've just put it
back, along with a comment saying ignoreCase is disabled too.

> obvious syntax for doing that, though. I must admit that I can't think of a
> use case where the pattern *is* case sensitive.

Since it's harder (impossible) to define a case-sensitive pattern with
ignoreCase true, than it is to define a case-insensitive pattern with
ignoreCase false, I think we have to go for the latter in WF2.