[whatwg] Suggested changes to Web Forms 2.0, 2004-07-01 working

From: Ben Meadowcroft <ben@benmeadowcroft.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:03:59 +0100
> >>If it wasn't for IE, we wouldn't have to even _consider_
> abusing <object>,
> >>so I don't really see your point here anyway.
> >
> > Wouldn't we?
>
>     I don't think it matters, because, as stated, using
> <object> for new
> mark-up is abusive to <object> (because it's intended for
> document-external content), it's semantically abusive and, in all the
> examples I've seen, it requires duplication of information
> for graceful
> degradation.

If we're considering the use of the object element for new types of form
control rather than new "mark-up" then its use is congruent with the
existing HTML 4 specification.
See.
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.2.
1
http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/interact/forms.html#h-17.13
.2
For further information on the use of object elements within forms.

--
Ben Meadowcroft
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com