[whatwg] Suggestion for Menus in Web Forms 2.0

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:26:23 -0400
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> Ah! Your problem there is that you're using an attribute for data that
>> should be human-readable by default (even in the absence of CSS or WA1
>> support). Don't do that; use an element instead.
>

> +1
>
> This "tag abuse" comes from XUL I guess, where there are similar
> constructs.

    Aren't we all forgetting that the webmasters may want the menu to
degrade into nothing on legacy browsers? Using the |label| attribute and
<command> elements, that can be done. Without |label|, the label text
appears regardless of whether the user can see the menu. You're
effectively eliminating a graceful degradation option for the webmaster.

    If you want an element counterpart to |label|, that's fine.
Something like "menutitle" or "menulabel" would be fine. However, we
need to keep |label| for those who may not want the menus to show up on
legacy browsers.