[whatwg] a few comments to Webforms 2.0 Call For Comments

From: Olav Junker Kjr <olav@olav.dk>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 11:42:07 +0200
>     You could argue it's illegal (although I have no idea why it would
> be), but that's pointless, since a control like a slider has to have a
> default value. Now that I think about it, this could be used as an
> argument why sliders shouldn't be used for <input type="range">,
> although I don't really by that argument myself.

It is clearly illegal since in section 2.1 it says: "By default, all of
these new types, just like the types from HTML4, must have no value
selected, unless a default value is provided using the value attribute."

Perhaps we need feedback from implementers whether is possible to design a
usable slider control with an "undefined" state. If not, either an
explicit value could be required for range fields, or it could be allowed
for range controls to choose a default value. The last option is probably
best, since implementations would have to handle missing values somehow
anyway, whether they are illegal or not.

Olav Junker Kj?r