Re: [webvr-internal] WebXR call agenda, Jan 9th 2018

Hello everyone,

Here are the notes of today's meeting.

* - Brandon will send an email thread to talk about other technologies for
how to meet. Meet is forcing everyone to use Chrome.- Incubator/Ideas
repo:- Name? - David Dorwin: Proposals, Propose work. - Ideas is too
broad.- Blair: All the proposed names/concepts imply something different.
What is the purpose of the repo.- Brandon: My idea is that is should be
about proposals with technical background. That is why I like "proposals"
as a name.- Nell: The idea is not that this repo is where the ideas should
be incubated. The idea is to submit ideas only and to make actual designed
and elaborated ideas in the main repo.- David Dorwin: this repo should be
for discussion not for landing anything.- Blair: Link to the process
followed by the RUST team:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/tree/master/text
<https://github.com/rust-lang/rfcs/tree/master/text>- Brandon: Playground
might be for random discussion.- Nell: Likes the idea of "Proposals".-
David Dorwin: the word "work" should be in the name or explanation to
identify that the proposals should be about what the community group should
work on.- Nell: Let's take this off line not to spend too much time on
this.- Brandon: A couple of things to talk off line- A explanation of the
process.- Code of conduct.- Brandon has been working on writing the spec
for the WebXR change during the holidays. Getting in a place where he is
happy with the formatting but wants feedback.- Trevor wants to talk about
the WebVR polyfill.- Trevor: Mozilla has been working on a polyfill for AR.
Would be good to move the repo under the W3C.- Nell: Is there any problem
from Google to move the repo to the immersive web org?- Jordan: It makes
sense to make the move but there is still not support for 2.0 (WebXR).-
David: Do we have a single polyfill repo or a webxr and webvr/carboard
one?- Trevor: There are 2 trains. The first revision with only VR and then
the new one with AR capabilities. It could be a fork or at least a
different repo.- David: It makes sense in the interim to have a single
polyfill repo where to have the shared options and where we can move the
current repo.- Brandon: Jordan and Brandon will work on how to move the
repo to the new structure.- Jordan: Will there be multiple polyfills for
multiple versions at the moment?- Brandon: Take it on a case by case basis.
Start with one and decide as needs arise (like a very AR focused one if
needed).- Update on input- Brandon: We had an input proposal and found
incompatibilities with other APIs and decided to wait until this issues are
resolved or figured out. Chrome is eager to provide WebXR to developers.
Would like not to have to sit on the API waiting. Proposal: There was an
initial simple API = point and click. It should support all the devices and
input mechanisms (including Hololens hand gesture). It should not provide
incompatibilities. The idea would be to provide just that simple
functionality as we foresee that it will be most likely future proof.-
Nell: MS is thinking on the same terms. Get the gamepad as a fallback
(although it does not have support for coordinate systems and it would need
another extension). Worried about developers getting tangled in using the
API in the wrong way. It is problematic not offering anything though.
Really eager to see what Brandon has in mind to make public.- Brandon:
Shared the same concerns.- Ada: It would be interesting to show the
potential API (even more if it can be polyfilled) and get something to
work. Devs will get excited about using it. Deprecated APIs is not the best
option.- Joshua Marinacci: Devs hate if something is abandoned with no
replacement. As long as people feel that there is a plan, they feel that
there is progress.- Nell: Let's make a proposal on this.- Brandon: Will
have something soon.- Kip: What about a higher level API even? Something
where the browser does all the heavy lifting and just provides the final
location of the collision. Something that could orthogonal.- Brandon: That
is the direction of the proposal. Something that does not provide low level
access but provides actions.- Ada: Could be tied to DOM based events
(declarative).- In the WebGL call it was brought up that instead of using
FrameBuffers as the WebXR API is proposing, if it would be better to expose
a texture array directly to WebGL 2.0 contexts. - Rafael: Brandon, does
WebGL 2.0 have everything needed to do this? Will it provide better
performance?- Brandon: Multiview comes again and again in the WebGL calls.
They’re concerned about the current plan to use an “opaque” framebuffer.
Can this be exposed using the most basic primitives possible? The problem
is that WebGL 1.0 does not provide these functionalities.- Rafael:
Multiview is optional. Once you use it, you have to use it. Once is
available devs will like to use it. The proposal now is to have a texture
array and the browser and the API to decide which to use for each eye.- One
problem with the opaque framebuffer proposal is that it doesn’t allow you
to mix multiview and non-multiview rendering. It’s all-or-nothing.-
Brandon: I am willing to drop the multiview flag with WebGL 1.0.- Some
concern about taking it that far.- Brandon: Let's take this discussion
offline.- Link to the multiview extension by the Khronos group:
https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/OVR/OVR_multiview_multisampled_render_to_texture.txt
<https://www.khronos.org/registry/OpenGL/extensions/OVR/OVR_multiview_multisampled_render_to_texture.txt>*

Regards,
Iker