Re: [webgl-dev-list] interections in WebVR

This is really a WebVR spec question, so I'm moving the webgl list to bcc.

Fortunately for you, this has been a topic of much discussion within the
WebVR group recently, and we have a proposed solution that we're going to
implement in the next iteration of the spec. Essentially we're going to
make VR input a first class citizen rather than a generic gamepad and
additionally define certain types of "gestures" that are abstracted inputs
across multiple devices.

The first (and initially only) gesture will be "select", which is simply
"The user performed the primary input." The exact action needed to trigger
this will be platform/device specific, but always something that follows
the guidelines for that system:

Cardboard: Tap the button/screen
Daydream: Click the touchpad
GearVR without controller: Tap the headset touchpad
Rift/Vive/GearVR with controller: Click the trigger
HoloLens: Perform an air tap
Any of the above with a gamepad: Press the "X" button or similar

And so on. This will fire a "select" event that will indicate, amongst
other things, a ray into the scene that corresponds with the event. For
motion controllers the ray will originate at the controller and run along
the controllers natural pointing direction. For inputs that don't have
motion tracking (Cardboard, GearVR w/ touchpad, Rift with remote, etc.) the
ray will originate at the users head and point outward, creating a gaze
cursor. This way for the simplest point-and-click interfaces the developer
doesn't need to worry about detecting the capabilities of the system or
doing massive swtich statements based on device name, they just respond to
the rays given to them by the select event. (I've got some early demos in
place to prove this concept out and they work spectacularly!)

Needless to say, this system takes heavy inspiration from Boris' wonderful
Ray.js library.

We'll share more details as they get finalized (though you could learn a
lot by poking around in the WebVR W3C spec repo on GitHub) but hopefully
that gives you enough to know that we've been worried about the same things
and actively addressing them!

--Brandon