Re: Network bandwidth and Latency consideration to support quality WebVR experience

Hello everybody,

Having worked on 360° video distribution for a year, I'll give my 2-cents.

   - To begin with, 360° video streaming is easily doable through HLS.
   Given the good encoding parameters, I managed to have a good streaming
   experience at 3840x1920 on 4G and correct Wi-FI. So I guess it should only
   improved from now on.
   - As Louay said, there will be new ways to stream 360° videos. As the
   content cannot be seen all at once, stream bits are downloaded for nothing.
   Some companies are already looking into it, most known would be Pixvana (
   https://pixvana.com/vr-video-lab-field-of-view-adaptive-streaming/)

So, from my own experience, to answer to your question of "WebVR group’s
expectation from network operators", I'd say that what we need for today's
experiments is a reliable network to download 15Mo in less than 3sec, and
improve from there.
I'm based in France and such a network isn't easy to find everywhere, good
4G isn't widespread yet, and some wired Internet connection are stuck to
1Mo second. Dunno how it is in the US but I guess that once you leave the
Silicon Valley, you'll find lots of places like that. And I'm not even
speaking of less developed countries, where a simple connection can be hard
to find.

Hope that helps!

--
Thomas BALOUET