Re: WebVR and DRM

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:37 PM, Sean McBeth <sean.mcbeth@primrosevr.com>
wrote:

> It is certainly no more political than HTTPS everywhere and requiring
> secure origins for WebVR,

It's a lot more political than that. DRM does not achieve its overt goal at
all. However what it does achieve is keep the innovative riff-raff at bay
and the competition out.

I don't think that something that's defective by design, that cannot work,
and which imposes a pleathora of social, legal, technical, ethical and
usability issues has a proper place to exist. No user ever said "I wish I
had DRM". It's an anti-feature. It's borne from a user-hostile mindset and
a compulsive need to eradicate rights once enjoyed. It's a digital landgrab
performed by a syndicate that have agreed to levy the same treatment on all
so that no competition can exist.

Tell me whence the copyright on your DRM'ed content expires, how will you
exercise your rights if not by use of illegitimate means? How is that
logical?

> which Google and Mozilla decided in their infinite wisdom for us.

Curious how you attribute infinite wisdom to large corporations which
typically behave in psychopathic ways (there was a study on that).