Re: WebVR and DRM

We have discussed the potential of having a Video Layer in a future version
of the spec. The primary purpose of said layer would be ease of use and
throughput efficiency, but if we were going to have any DRM support that
would be the place for it. Please note that use of a layer mechanism like
that would carry with it some significant restrictions, and then DRM
content would add several more on top of that:

   - WebGL content wouldn't be able to sample the video, so things like
   refraction effects in overlaid content wouldn't be possible.
   - Occlusion is possible through careful stenciling and alpha channel
   use, but not easy.
   - Videos would have to conform to one of only a couple known layouts.
   - Synchronization of WebGL content over the top of the video may be
   difficult.
   - If using a DRM encrypted video mirroring capabilities would likely be
   disabled.
   - DRM encrypted media support may not be universal, since it relies on
   support from both the VR system, the graphics drivers, and the OS.

In other words, expect any such mechanism to primarily be useful for very
simple 360 video or 2D-video-in-a-theater style scenarios.

And please recognize that DRM is not a magic bullet. If pixels can be
reproduced on screen they can be copied, full stop. Providing value through
your online services rather than any single piece of content is typically a
better route to ensuring users are willing to pay for your product, though
I recognize that's a fairly situation-dependent thing.

--Brandon