Re: Specifying the association with an online timing service

Hi guys,

there's even the rather horrible race condition in all the two-step
versions:

if somestate execute func1;
                          <---  somestate changes
somestate.on("change", func1);

In this case, func1 will not be called.  Ref. Murphy and the fact that
during init, a lot of things happen quickly, this will of course happen far
more often than you expect. :-)

Switching it around gives you duplicates, which you will need to filter out:
somestate.on("change", func1)
if somestate execute func1;

I actually experience this kind of thing with the video.canplay event,
which on my typical machines on the current versions of browsers act
differently.  Chrome emits video.canplay on dektops (where it can play),
not on mobiles (which require a user event).  Firefox might emit
video.canplay, but is normally ready before I get to the point of
checking.  I therefore check if video.canplay, then create a new canplay
event and emit that, but that means often getting dupes on Chrome.  Very
annoying and unnecessarily complicated.

Of course, these things become more complicated if the emitted event does
not map directly down to a single parameter you can check.  The
timingObject returns a tuple for example, and you can't really tell if it
has been changed or not, in particular if the default values are (0,0,0)
for a timingObject with no source (i.e. a local timing object).  On the
other hand, you must be able to handle the initial event (if your code is
executed before the somestate is set), so *no complexity* is added for the
programmer if the initial event is emitted on register.

So the quick summary is:
when a handler is registered on an object, it should emit the event it
would have emitted had the handler been registered earlier.  I think this
could be safe for all non-user-initiated events.

---
Dr. Njål Borch
Senior researcher
Norut Tromsø, Norway