Re: Purpose and synchronicity of timeupdate events across devices?

The timeupdate event is quite useful for some cases, e.g. update a css
slide bar, print the formatted position etc - stuff that needs to be done
periodically, but not really synchronized.  At least, it does save me some
fiddling.  Using the timeupdate event, which could arguably be improved no
end, as is allows various ui components to be plugged in trivially. Also,
the timeupdate is of course paused if the timing object is paused, so it
does save some resources (as expected) when stuff is not happening.  Wierd
stuff, like the 5Hz, not sending the position in the event etc are all
inherited from the HTML5 Media Elements. ;-)

We already do have some setInterval and setTimeout functions in our support
libraries that are very useful, and they will of course provide
synchronized callbacks, taking skips and playback speed into account.

Regards,

---
Dr. Njål Borch
Senior researcher