Re: Questions | W3C Website redesign

Hello Susie,

Thank you for sending questions. Please, see inline.

> On 26 Nov 2019, at 23:09 , Susanna Bird <susie.bird@civicactions.com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> CivicActions, Inc. respectfully submits the following questions regarding the above-referenced RFP.
>
> Question No.
> Specific Reference
> RFQ or PWS Section/Page
> Question
> 1
> Section 4.3 Services, page 6
> The first bullet under “Design” states “User research (4)...” Are these four FTE user research staff?

No, “(4)” is a footnote which points to a note under the block: “ The 2013 user research provides some elements, but it was conducted on 35 persons and is probably not sufficiently representative.”

> 2
> Section 4.3 Services, pages 6-7
> The second and third bullet under “Design” state: “Information Architecture…” and “Visual Design...”, respectively. How many FTE staff do you want in each of these service areas?

We leave this to the vendor to propose, we do not have any requirements in that regard.

> 3
> Section 4.3 Services, page 7
> The first three bullets under “Development” state: “Front-end, Content strategy, Content migration.” How many FTE staff do you want in each of these service areas?

We leave this to the vendor to propose, we do not have any requirements in that regard.

> 4
> Section 4.1 Phases,
> page 5
> The eighth bullet in the first paragraph states “Others as determined by information architecture.”
> Please give examples of what “Others” may include.

In conducting the exploration work to determine the best information architecture, the vendor may advise that a given category of pages, or a sub-part of the site, be included as part of “phase 1”.

> 5
> Section 4.1 Phases,
> page 5
> The second paragraph states “(2) The four primary categories we have today may be artifacts of the current design. We should clearly identify who the targets for the site are and then determine what that means from an architectural perspective. Can you explain what these artifacts are and what size and how many files they contain?

In the 2008 redesign (current design), we had determined what the four primary navigation targets were going to be (Standards, Participate, Membership, About W3C).
In conducting the exploration work to identify the best information architecture, the vendor may find that the primary navigation targets are different. In this case, what constitutes “phase 1” may change.

> 6
> Section 4.2 Requirements,
> page 6
> The first sub-bullet under the tenth bullet states “We need a CMS that is long-lived and easy to maintain, because we run our systems for decades.”
> As we have no control over future software versions/upgrades and because there will be new, better software platforms developed/created in the future, can you give a more definitive timeframe than “decades” for your expectations for the software used to redesign your website?

Decade (singular)? Perhaps “robust and easy to maintain” would have better described what we expect.

> 7
> Section 3.1 Goal,
> page 3
> The second paragraph states “W3C explored a redesign in 2014 but that project was not fulfilled.” Can you explain why the 2014 redesign was not fulfilled?

The funding for this project had to be prioritized elsewhere.
Today we plan to become an own legal entity in 2021 and that further motivates the redesign project.
We have needed a redesign for many years and the upcoming relaunch as our own legal entity provides us with an anchor in time for when to have accomplished a visible (phase 1) redesign of our website.

> 8
> Section 4.3 Services,
> Page 6
> First sub-bullet under the bullet for “Design” states “User research (4) (ideally including participants with disabilities.” Does the word “participants” refer to the four user research staff or does it refer to other participants hired to support the four user researches?

Again, sorry for creating confusion. See answer to question 1.

Coralie

--
Coralie Mercier  -  W3C Marketing & Communications -  https://www.w3.org
mailto:coralie@w3.org +337 810 795 22 https://www.w3.org/People/Coralie/