Re[2]: Gap analysis: SMIL

On Mon, 05 Nov 2012 18:45:36 +0100
"Charles McCathie Nevile" <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> As one of the members who is familiar with SMIL, can I suggest the
> following modification:
>
> [[[
> SMIL provides good declarative ability to describe timing, and event-based
> animation. On the other hand, it does not formally allow for using
> Javascript which we also need.
>
> Possible strategies for using SMIL include:
>     * build on top of a SMIL player, adding script capability and relevant
> APIs.
>     * incorporate HTML content and use the scripting capability of HTML
> within the objects that are sequenced. This approach precludes using
> script to mainpulate the SMIL containers, which may not meet the
> requirements of use cases.
>     * include SMIL (or possibly a subset) inline in an HTML browser, as
> HTML5
> does with SVG and MathML
> ]]]
>
> (I think this says the same thing as John, but will help clarify to other
> groups what it is in SMIL that we really want).

Thanks for your suggestion as a SMIL expert, Chaals.
It makes the section better as the gap analysis.
I rewrote the section completely based on the suggestion.
I kept some existing phrases in it for people who aren't familiar with signage.
http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Use_cases_and_Requirements#SMIL

Best regards,
Futomi

--