Re[4]: Web-based Signage Scenarios and Use Cases

Hi Chaals,

Thank you for your advice.
I don't know the conventional way to collaborate creating a document at W3C.
So your advice is helpful for me.
I have some questions as below.

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 05:56:33 +0200
"Chaals McCathieNevile" <w3b@chaals.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 02:55:18 +0200, Futomi Hatano
> <futomi.hatano@newphoria.co.jp> wrote:
>
> > Hi John, and all,
> >
> > Thank you for your quick response.
> > I agree with you in principle.
> >
> > Regarding use of collaborative editing tools,
> > I agree with you 100%!
> > I prefer Google Docs.
> > Is it OK, all?
>
> I won't use it.

Why not?
Many communities other than W3C use such tools to make the first draft jointly.
Do you deny Google Doscs or all such tools?
Don't the veterans in W3C use such a free collaborative editing tools at all?
Anyway, I don't stick to it.
I'll adopt a way most members agree.

> W3C has some tools which are based on simple HTML (allowing a free choice
> of tools for editing) allowing version tracking.

Actually, I prefer to use simple HTML.
That's way I've prepared the document using it.
But this way dosen't allow us to edit the document jointly.

Now I am asking a W3C staff the best way to make a document jointly.
If I feel it's a good way, I'll ask you all.
I'll keep the current (my) way for a while.

> > If there are no objections,
> > I'll prepare the document using Google Docs in few days,
> > and invite the applicants for editing.
> >
> > Regarding a conference call, could you give me some more time?
> > As you know, unfortunately, Most of this BG members aren't
> > good English speakers, including me.
> > At this moment, it could lead to miscommunication.
> > Though I know it's effective, I'd like to discuss with e-mail for a
> > while.
>
> I think it makes sense to discuss by email where possible. As well as
> difficulties with language, there can be difficulties with time-zone.

Certainly.

> > I'm sorry for bothering.
> > When our discussions get heated, then let's arrange a conference call.
>
> When we do need one, we should use IRC as well as the telephone. It is
> helpful for people who are concerned they are miscommunicating but are
> more confident with written english, and with W3C's IRC tools it is also
> extremely helpful for making the teleconference more efficient.

Certainly, IRC is usefull for non-English speakers.
When we need a conference call, let's use it as well.

> We could organise short a demonstration telecon to show how the tools
> work...

That would be nice.
Most members in this BG including me have never used a conference call at W3C.
When we need a conference call, let's try it in advance.

Best regards,
Futomi

--
Newphoria Corporation