Re: SMIL in SVG

On 12 December 2012 12:47, John C. Wang <John.Wang@iadea.com> wrote:
> I'd agree we should look at high level gaps at this stage instead of
> specific implementations. Even HTML5 behaves so differently across browsers
> that we should not depend on the current implementation to decide what to
> choose. Measuring performance and number of browsers supporting is IMHO a
> bad argument for picking a standard, unless we are specifically favoring a
> particular vendor.

I don't think we are picking a standard. We have to use the Web as
most people understand and use it today. You can't choose a non-Web
standard.

The Web technology support across leading browsers is a fine basis to
work from. If there are some grave incompatibilities needed for Web
signage, can you be more specific?

> We should look at actual requirements and gaps from real deployments to
> decide what to include in or exclude from our spec.

A lot of the requirements as listed upon
http://www.w3.org/community/websignage/wiki/Web-based_Signage_Use_cases_and_Requirements
I would ague are not in "real" DOOH deployments today.

Most DOOH deployments use a USB stick with images or video on
rotation. If we can argue that content could be better hosted on the
Web, then that would be progress.

Kind regards,