Re: Re[4]: Gap analysis: SMIL

Surely that's a fallacy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

>From what I've seen in the DOOH signage industry, vendors tout all
sorts of crazy proprietary technologies which doesn't make their
approach right.

> A declarative approach make developing CMSs easier.
> If we can use CMSs for signage contents, creating content will
> be cost-effective.

I don't think there needs to be any special language changes to
support a Web signage CMS.

http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1708414

> How do you control durations for each ads?

File -> Publish to Web, "Automatically advance presentation to the
next slide" has a duration dialog.

> Existing HTML CMSs such as Google docs don't meet even the
> requirement for the "Basic advertisement".

I think it does. People use it already like this.

And this is a very simple example, of course a proper CMS designed for
creating signs can do a better job.

> If SMIL were implemented in ordinary web browsers,
> the sentence would be correct.
> We listed all possibilities in the "Gap analysis".
> Of course, I know it's unlikely actually.
> But no one can bet that for now.

It's extremely unlikely. I don't understand how you can seriously
consider adding SMIL onto the Web.

Isn't it a better approach to list the problems of the Web in detail
instead of introducing an entire technology stack?

> Could be.
> But I think it isn't big advantage.
> I've never heard such scenario.
> If I were an advertiser, I would prepare dedicated contents
> for PCs or smartphones.

You are missing the potential of the Web medium.

A sign I see on the street showing a menu http://menu.example.com
could be the same Web page I see whilst accessing at home or sharing a
link with a friend on a mobile. If you want to cut your costs,
consider using the "One Web" / responsive designs, not creating
"dedicated contents" as you put it.

Kind regards from Singapore,