[openscreenprotocol] Representation of BCP-47 language tags

From: Google <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 17:45:40 +0000
To: public-webscreens@w3.org
mfoltzgoogle has just created a new issue for https://github.com/webscreens/openscreenprotocol:

== Representation of BCP-47 language tags ==
[BCP-47](https://tools.ietf.org/html/bcp47#section-4.4) states that language tags can be arbitrarily long in theory.

In https://github.com/webscreens/openscreenprotocol/pull/53#issuecomment-331019337 @tomoyukilabs wrote:

> Okay. I just wanted to confirm the reason of 64 characters. Regarding the length, BCP-47 describes Length Considerations and indicates several examples and recommendations, e.g.:
> - historically most language tags have consisted of language and region subtags with a combined total length of up to six characters
> - RFC4646 recommended a minimum field size of 42 characters

This issue is to research real-world usage and/or ask for input from the i18n working group on language tag usage to inform if we want a fixed length string or variable length string.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/webscreens/openscreenprotocol/issues/54 using your GitHub account