Re: Multi-device Timing Community Group

HI Anssi

Adding to what Francois says here, multi-device timing (based on shared
motion) is very useful in implementing some of the use cases that also
motivate the webscreens initiative. For instance, take the use case where
you want to control a web-based slide show presentation on a big screen
from a smart phone. We solve that by letting shared motion (online)
represent the "position" in the slide show, and then we just increment
(move) the position (on the server) in order to navigate the slide show.
The big screen needs a URL to the slide slide show and the smart phone has
a URL to the controls web pages and possibly also including the slide show
viewer. This server-based approach has additional benefits, for example,
any number of devices could join the multi-device slide show presentation,
or (if you wish) the slide show can be controlled by one, everyone, or
perpaps a group of presenters, or even a presenter that missed a flight
connection and is stuck in an airport.

So, we see multi-device timing as an enabler for the construction of Web
media that is naturally multi-device, thus reducing the secondary screen
problem to a bootstrapping problem of possibly detecting other devices and
somehow get a URL across. (This is out of scope for multi-device timing -
but within scope of the webscreen group I believe).

With respect to simple screen casting of web pages, we could also represent
that by having a "playlist" of urls on a server, and simply navigate that
using shared motion, letting each connected device render the correct page
at the same time. If you additionally let that server-hosted playlist
accept dynamic updates, that is a fairly powerful mechansim for
collaborative viewing of Web stuff.

Hope this helps sorting out the relevance :)

Best, Ingar