Re: Multi-device Timing Community Group

Hi Ingar, Francois,

> On 03 Mar 2015, at 13:10, Ingar Mæhlum Arntzen <ingar.arntzen@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Community Group Members.
>
> Given you interest in the Secondary Device Framework, I would like to bring to your attention a new Community Group initiative with possible relevance.
>
> The Multi-device Timing Community Group targets native Web support for distributed temporal controls in multi-device Web applications. Shared Motion, the technical basis for the Multi-device Timing initiative, has already been demonstrated to provide milisecond sync across Internet, works in regular Web browsers, and scales to support a vast number of synchronized webscreens.
>
> Possible relevance to Secondary Device Framework is indicated as follows:
>
> "The Second Screen Presentation aims to provide an API for launching and controlling HTML pages on secondary devices. Multi-device timing may be particularly relevant for control of time sensitive features, such as media playback, or if symmetric control is required (e.g., pause video on second screen, resume from first).  Additionally, multi-device timing will be useful in scenarios involving more than one secondary screen."
>
> Please consult the following link for more information.
>
> https://www.w3.org/community/webtiming/

I observed there's now a Timing Object draft spec that "aims to make it possible and easy to synchronize playback of media (and non-media) content across Web clients":

  http://webtiming.github.io/timingobject/

The spec attempts to address the use cases are described at:

  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2014Dec/0017.html

Francois - since you're the editor of the Timing Object spec, you're probably in the best position to give us an update on how this might fit in with the potential future extensions to the Presentation API that this Community Group may be working on.

My expectation is the work on Timing Object is too early to be of relevance to the Presentation API spec being worked on in the Working Group?

Thanks,

-Anssi