Re: Allow page to designate itself as presentation session

Hello everyone,

This thread reminds me of the discussions in Device APIs about a page exposing a service on the net.
The situation seems similar from the exposing perspective, but quite different from the discovering perspective.

François and Louay are right that something is needed on the exposing/display side.
Anton and Mark are right that the existing API covers cases on the “discovering”/control side.

On device 1, browser 1 has started page 1 which called startSession. Display 1 is discovered, then proposed to the user on device 1, then accepted, then connected to page 1.
On device 2, browser 2 starts page 2 which calls startSession.
The question is then: should display 1 be discovered and proposed to user on device 2 ?
Maybe display 1 is a single user application.
Maybe display 1 is a game with an option, sometimes single user, sometimes multi user.
Maybe display 1 is always multi-user.

Anyway, whether display 1 should be discovered and proposed to the second user is a choice of the application running on display 1.
So having a function callable in the presentation application to define whether the application is to be proposed to other users is relevant.

If display 1 is single user and has indicated that it is not exposed, browser 2 does not propose it to the user on device 2.
If display 1 is multi user and has indicated that it is discoverable, browser 2 proposes it to the user on device 2.

From page 1 and page 2 perspective, nothing changed from the usual Presentation API exchange.
Browser 2 sees a difference, but does not share it with page 2.
The difference happens outside of the knowledge of the control side page.

The expose function to be called by the presentation application should at least have a boolean argument, meaning "I want/don’t want to be exposed”.
A case can be made to add a tag, which could signal “poker” meaning that the presentation application is currently running Louay’s poker game.
What do you think ?

I hope I am using the appropriate vocabulary.
Best regards
JC

> On 18 Nov 2014, at 09:29, Bassbouss, Louay <louay.bassbouss@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
>
> CIL

Jean-Claude DUFOURD
Directeur d’études / Multimedia Group / Telecom ParisTech
37-39 rue Dareau, 75014 Paris, France
Tél. : +33 1 45 81 77 33