Re: Draft of Second Screen Presentation Working Group Charter available (was: Heads-Up: Plan for Working Group on Second Screen Presentation)

Dominik, I agree that exposure of specific protocols via the Presentation
API isn't a goal, and I don't think that's necessarily what MarkW was
looking for.

Rather, if we generalize the three use cases that MarkF raised (and I think
there are strong valid arguments for all three), I think the high level
goal is to handle a wide range of content types - HTML content, web media
content, or app-specific content (e.g. a piece of content on Netflix).  The
role of the presentation API at it's core is to find screens that support a
particular content type, and to establish (or terminate) a presentation
session on a appropriate screen for that content.

A view that underlies both MarkF and MarkW's view, which I share (must be a
first name thing), is that messages/control in the context of an
established presentation session is specific to the content being
presented.  Whether you load Netflix-defined HTML content on a remote HTML
UA, or a pre-installed Netflix app on a DIAL device, messages within the
session are entirely Netflix-defined regardless.

I do agree that DIAL itself should not be in scope - indeed, per earlier
comments from MarkF, the work here should not focus on any single or
specific implementation technology since there are many.  However, I
believe it was offered by MarkW to clarify the range of presentation
devices that we should support.

Mark.