Re: Updated Presentation API WebIDL - call for review

Hi Anssi,

I don't quite follow how this API works for the flinging case.

First, I understand now why we would like the site to render the button
that pops up the device list (because it may want to show several, for
different things to be potentially sent to different screens).

The first thing that should happen, then, is that the site informs the UA
of the URL(s) it might wish to present. This tells the UA to start the
discovery processes (if not always running) and what kind of URL support to
look for. For example, if the site wants to show content from
www.netflix.com and all that can be found through the various discovery
mechanisms is a www.youtube.com application advertised over DIAL, then
there are no screens available that the site can use and the icon should
not be shown at all.

With the API as documented, though, IIUC, the first thing that happens is
that the site gets the onavailablechange event. How can the browser
generate this without knowing the URL ?

Second, the site ought to be able to cause the UA-managed selection list to
appear at a position of its choice, for example close to the icon that
triggered the list to be shown.

It seems also that if there are multiple second-screen buttons then a URL
is needed for each and the device list may be different for each. This
would suggest to me that the availablechange event should be on the
PresentationSession, which then means that much more than one bit of
information is being revealed to the site.

...Mark