Re: Interoperability and protocols in draft WG charter

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM, mark a. foltz <mfoltz@google.com> wrote:

> Thanks.  Two items of feedback around clarification.
>
> Original text #1:
>
> +          To advance to Proposed Recommendation, interoperability between
> the
>
> +          independent implementations (that is, same content rendered and
> same
> +          experience regardless of the user agent and secondary display
> +          considered) should be demonstrated.
>
> This was a little ambiguous at first reading.  Is the "user agent" the one
> hosting the web application or the one rendering, or both?
>
> Also, the means of evaluating the "same experience" needs to consider the
> fact that wireless displays (single-UA) and flinging (two-UA) cases will
> always have qualitatively different experiences from the user point of view.
>
> Perhaps:
>
> +          To advance to Proposed Recommendation, interoperability between
> the
> +          independent implementations should be demonstrated.
>  Interoperable user agents hosting
> +          the same Presentation API web application should be able to
> render the same
> +          content with the same functionality on multiple types of
> secondary displays.

​I have one concern with this text which that the above is only possible if
both the UAs support the specific type of secondary display​ and if the
display supports the content in question.

For example, if one UA can render YouTube content using a YouTube app
discovered over DIAL but another cannot connect to that display does not
mean that the Presentation API is not interoperable (that's a DIAL
interoperability problem).

Equally, If two UAs can render some piece of UHD content through a HDMI
connection but it doesn't work over a MirraCast link with only HDCP1.x this
again is not a failure of the Presentation API.

...Mark