Re: Requesting display of non HTML content (was: Draft of Second Screen Presentation Working Group Charter available)

On Fri, May 30, 2014 at 6:05 AM, Bassbouss, Louay <
louay.bassbouss@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:

> Hi Anssi,

I also agree that this is a good starting point, as it re-uses the
HTMLMediaElement APIs for both local and remote playback (and this was one
of the alternatives I proposed earlier for this functionality).  My only
caution is that the devil is in the details as there is a large set of
functionality that is encapsulated in HTMLMediaElement and not all of it
may be compatible with rendering on a remote UA, so we will need to address
content specific negotiation of capabilities at some point.

> > > Actually you can adapt it to any DOMElement ;). This is what I already
> > proposed sometime at the very beginning of the CG discussion.
> >
> > That is definitely an interesting proposal, but I suggest we keep the
> scope we
> > have currently for the v1 spec ("the web content may comprise HTML
> > documents, web media types such as images, audio, video, or application-
> > specific media"), that is, concentrate on the HTMLMediaElements and the
> > HTMLImageElement initially.
>
> Completely agree
>

> > Extending this to any HTMLElement would make an excellent experimental
> > extension spec I think, that could be worked on in the Community Group
> > first.
> >
> > MarkF - what do you mean by the "application-specific media"? Does it fit
> > into this model? That concept was landed into the draft charter as part
> of
> > your charter update [1].

"Application-specific media" meant content whose type was known to the
controlling page and the rendering agent, but not necessarily to a generic
HTML5 browser.  The scenario that has been brought up for this are "apps"
in a context like Google Cast [1] or DIAL [2] but it could be a PC native
application, Steam game [3], or other media that is not a standard
video/audio/image container and may not be HTML.

[1] https://developers.google.com/cast/
[2] http://www.dial-multiscreen.org/
[3] http://store.steampowered.com/

I can try to elaborate this a bit in the charter if it would be helpful.

m.