Re: HTML Slidy remote - a Presentation API demo

Hi Dominik,

On 2014-07-22 17:49, Rottsches, Dominik wrote:
> Hi Francois,
>
>> I see the Chromium build in the repo is 7 months old. Could it be that the build uses a version of Chromium that does not yet support Promises (added end of last year AFAICT)?
>> http://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar
>> http://www.chromestatus.com/features
>
> It is a bit old indeed. I’ll try to find the time to port the patches to a recent version and release newer builds.
>
>> The main difference I can think of between this code and the code of the video demo otherwise is that the "window.open" call occurs in an asynchronous callback as opposed to as a synchronous response to user input (which explains why the pop-up window will be blocked by default).
>
>> The messages logged to the console on the receiver side should look like:
>> [[
>> code is running in a receiver app
>> dispatch "present" message
>> open slideshow at "https://[...]"
>> ]]
>
> I saw only the first two msgs.

OK, that means Promises are supported, so no real need to update the
Chromium build.

>> I'll try to:
>> - improve the messages logged to help with debugging
>> - find time to setup a Linux environment

Both done. I managed to reproduce the blank screen on the Chromium build
and fixed a couple of synchronization bugs in my code related to
detecting when the receiver code is up and running. I do not know why
these bugs did not show up in other situations but since they depended
on how fast the code ran, it's not that surprising that it only showed
up in certain contexts.

>> - add the required polyfills to support Promises or drop them altogether.
>>
>> Can you confirm it works correctly (with a pop-up window that is) with a regular Google Chrome on a Mac?
>
> On Release Chrome, unfortunately not, the window opens, and the title changes to HTML Slidy Receiver (so, it’s certainly loading something), but then it stays white. But I can debug it and look into what’s going on tomorrow for a while as well, no worries.

Hopefully the latest version addressed the "blank screen" issue.

I still could not test the Chromium build with a proper second screen as
I do not have one at hand right now.

Francois.