Re: New Proposal now up for Discussion on the Wiki

One more comment on why we believe this is a better model than granting
permissions to devices; the list of devices is dynamic.  If you grant
persistent permission to the devices you have at the time (say Alice's Big
TV), and the site now uses this *without* showing the UA's device picker
every time, then when Alice buys a new Small TV and puts it in her bedroom,
the domain that was authorized to use Big TV will now never see Small TV.
 It would thus be necessary to have a "refresh permissions" type button
within the site UI to force a re-prompt (by the UA) so that Alice can grant
access to new devices.

This is particularly problematic depending on assumptions about persistent
identifiers for devices.  Factory resets, naming, even software updates
might change the identity of a device.  It is sometimes even preferable not
to allow devices to have truly persistent identifiers at a protocol level,
because this allows for correlation (specifically, the native Awesome Video
Player app for my mobile phone can now determine that my spouse and I see
same the uniquely identified device).  Regardless, the more dynamic the
device list is, the less it is appropriate to use a one-time selection of
permissions for a site.

Mark.