Re: New Proposal now up for Discussion on the Wiki

Hi Dominik,

comments inline.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:30 AM, Rottsches, Dominik <
dominik.rottsches@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Anton, other participants,
>
> thanks for the detailed review of the proposal and your comments.
>
> On 05 Feb 2014, at 18:09, Anton Vayvod <avayvod@google.com> wrote:
>
> > I've just left some comments on the Wiki page, mostly in regards to the
> device selection. I also tried to answer most of the open questions.
>
> From your comments on the wiki I understand, in your opinion device
> selection should be on the UI side. I took at your link to the Chromecast
> API where the device selection is left to the Cast extension.
>
> We went through one example which lead us to think enumeration might
> actually be important:
>
> The use case we were considering is the ability of the Youtube website to
> cast/fling to a couple of nearby devices, via different connection
> methodologies, Chromecast or YouTube’s proprietary pairing.
>
> If you connect a “controller" page to a YouTube page in TV mode [1], the
> paired targets show up in a UI selection, along with the name of the
> available Chromecast, as shown here:
> http://roettsch.es/player_target_list.png

This server requires a login when I click on the link. However, I think I
understand what you mean and thanks for reminding of this important use
case.

> In this case the YouTube page is aware of the available presentation
> devices and shows them using its own styling and UI. For this to be
> possible via Presentation API, enumeration with human readable names would
> be required.

I think we could go the other way: allow the site to provide additional
items to the selection list. So YouTube would add a list of its own device
ids for these manually paired devices. I believe this is what the new Cast
Web SDK does.