Re: Status update on WG creation steps

Hi Anssi, Mark, all,

On 2014-08-22 12:44, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:
> Hi Francois,
>
> On 21 Aug 2014, at 03:14, mark a. foltz <mfoltz@google.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks Anssi.  Please provide any updates you have on the progress of the WG :)
>
> I think you’d be in the best position to give an update on the WG creation progress, assuming there’s new information to be shared with the group since your July update [1].

In short
-----
The draft charter has been sent out to the Advisory Committee for review
early August and AC representatives are to send reviews by 12 September
2014. A few positive reviews have already been received but there needs
to be more. Get in touch with your AC rep to make that happen!

In more details
-----
The draft charter has been sent out to the Advisory Committee for review
as planned. The Advisory Committee is composed of one representative per
W3C Member company and these AC representatives are being asked to
review the draft charter and show support (and/or request changes)
through an online questionnaire opened until 12 September 2014.

A few members have already replied to the call for review. If you have
W3C credentials, you should be able to see the member-visible reviews
received so far at:
https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/33280/secondscreen/results

When the questionnaire closes, W3C Management will evaluate the results,
possibly request further changes to the charter, and evaluate the
reviews received to decide whether the group can be created.

They will typically look at member companies active on this mailing-list
and won't consider it a good sign if some of them did not answer the
questionnaire.

Reviews from member companies active on this mailing-list is crucial but
not enough. A new practice has also been put into place recently that
requires a sufficient number of reviews across the membership for the
group creation to be approved.

If you are an AC rep, you should already know what to do :)

If you are not an AC rep, I strongly encourage you to get in touch with
your AC rep and discuss the call for review with her/him. I will get in
touch with AC reps of some members on my own, but it will have much more
impact if it comes from you. Let me know if you do not know who your AC
rep is for some reason.

> I’m happy to see good momentum building and think we’re off to a good start here, with right people, active technical discussion, prototypes and other experimentation happening.

Indeed!

Thanks,
Francois.