Re: User agent context for rendering the presentation

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 6:06 PM, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com> wrote:
> So, I'm no so much interested in whether it uses an existing Presentation
> API session or not. Let's just assume it doesn't.
>
> So the browser on the TV is freshly navigated to www.netflix.com. What I
> meant by the TV being logged in to Netflix account N9 is that cookies,
> IndexedDB data etc. for www.netflix.com is present indicating that it is
> logged in. It would then be the sites decision, when launched in
> presentation mode and after communicating with the controller, whether to
> stay logged in on that Netflix account or log in on the same Netflix account
> as the controller. I would very much like to be able to handle the case
> where the controller is using the same Netflix account as the TV without
> having to do a new Netflix log-in.
>
> So, I'm saying that IndexedDB, if supported, should not be cleared each time
> a new presentation session starts.

I think this falls under the umbrella of "connecting to applications
already installed on a TV".

Both web based OSs, and web based TVs are heavily under research. So
trying to mandate any particular behavior here seems unlikely to
actually result in multiple implementations. Unless we have multiple
hardware vendors willing to commit to implement a particular behavior,
we would effectively be just writing fiction.

I do think that this is a super interesting field though. But I'd
rather keep it out of the main spec for now. If we can find multiple
hardware vendors that are willing to sign up and implement a fully
specified web based TV platform, then I'd love to collaborate on a
spec for that.

/ Jonas