Re: Presentation API usage: Mirroring vs Extension

Thx Mark

Louay

On 09.04.2014, at 02:26, "Mark Scott" <markdavidscott@google.com<mailto:markdavidscott@google.com>> wrote:

Hi Louay,

Apologies, realized that I think you didn't get an answer on this - the current tabCapture API is available for extensions only at the moment.

Mark.

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Bassbouss, Louay <louay.bassbouss@fokus.fraunhofer.de<mailto:louay.bassbouss@fokus.fraunhofer.de>> wrote:
Thx Mark for the explanation, I already played with Chromecast and Cast extension for chrome, it is the same flow as you described (using DIAL directly instead of  Presentation API). Is the tabCapture API available also for web pages or only for extensions?

Regards,
Louay

From: mark a. foltz [mailto:mfoltz@google.com<mailto:mfoltz@google.com>]
Sent: Dienstag, 25. März 2014 02:29
To: Bassbouss, Louay
Cc: Min, Hongbo; Rottsches, Dominik; public-webscreens@w3c.org<mailto:public-webscreens@w3c.org>

Subject: Re: Presentation API usage: Mirroring vs Extension

[Catching up on old threads - sorry if this was answered/updated in a later thread]

We have considered the use case of allowing a page to "mirror itself" using the same mechanism as the chrome.tabCapture API [1].  I think this can be accommodated in the existing API by extending getUserMedia [2] with a media constraint that indicates a capture source of "self."  User permission and notification would be required for obvious reasons.

One model for how this would work if using WebRTC [3] (after the MediaStream is obtained):
(1) Page creates a local PeerConnection
(2) Invokes the presentation API to request showing a remote URL that implements WebRTC (i.e. knows how to play out the stream)
(3) Messages via the Presentation session to offer/answer and exchange candidates with the remote PeerConnection
(4) Remote agent renders the stream when media connectivity has been established

If a transport other than WebRTC is desired, the flow would look different; it may require adding specific support for self-mirroring via the Presentation API.  However, I assuming that it's still out of scope for the charter, I don't have anything specific to propose at this time.

Cheers,
m.

[1] https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/tabCapture
[2] http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/getusermedia.html