Re: Call for Consensus (CfC) to publish a FPWD of "Capture Handle - Bootstrapping Collaboration when Screensharing".

I object to publishing a Capture Handle (identity) FPWD, due to issues
filed in #11 and #12.

There’s disagreement in #11 over whether setCaptureHandleConfig, as
defined, is too powerful: it is meant to be a bootstrap for a cross-origin
messaging channel, not be one itself. If implemented as-is, my concern is
applications might immediately become dependent on its side-effects, since
misusing it as a local messaging channel seems simpler than its designed
purpose (setting up e.g. a RESTFUL api to reach cross-origin) in many cases.

There’s disagreement in #12 over API shape, whether getCaptureHandle()
belongs on the track. Tracks are designed to be cloned and even transferred
to workers. It seems undesirable that a cross-origin messaging channel be
given to all media consumers. Instead, a dedicated CaptureController object
that is neither cloneable nor transferable seems a superior location, to
separate control (affecting all tracks) from consumption of a single track.

The reader of the FPWD should be made aware of these outstanding issues in
the document itself.

The process [1] states:

*"For all Working Drafts a Working Group:*

   - *should** document outstanding issues, and parts of the document on
   which the Working Group does not have consensus, and *
   - *may** request publication of a Working Draft even if its content is
   considered unstable and does not meet all Working Group requirements."*

Assuming there are no other objections, my objection can be resolved by
documenting the above lack of consensus as Notes in the document itself,
like we recently did for Region Capture.

[1] https://www.w3.org/2020/Process-20200915/#maturity-levels
[11] https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-handle/issues/11
[12] https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-handle/issues/12

--