Re: Call for Consensus (CfC) on Transferrable MediaStreamTracks (Section 5 of mediacapture-extensions)

> On 28 Sep 2021, at 08:16, Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com <mailto:Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>> wrote:
>
> I support Transferrable MediaStreamTracks.  However, I do not believe that Section 5 provides covers the subject adequately, since it is missing:
>
> Motivation.  The benefits of transferrable MediaStreamTracks are not enumerated or compared to alternatives.
Do you suggest to add wording about why this might be useful in the beginning of the section?
That seems reasonable to me.
I filed https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-extensions/issues/37 <https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-extensions/issues/37> to follow up on this.

> Pitfalls. The application developer is not informed about issues that they may need to be aware of, particularly in the context of WebRTC.  As an example, are there known inconsistencies in the existing track APIs that are likely to affect the interoperability of transferred MediaStreamTracks?
I am not sure what inconsistencies you are referring to.
By the transferring algorithm definition, we keep the same source, same settings…
I would hope interop will not be an issue but we need implementations to validate this.
> Code examples. In track processing scenarios, a track may be transferred to a  worker in order to enable manipulation, with the processed track transferred back to the main thread in order to be rendered or provided as an argument to addTrack.  So the transfers tend to come in pairs.
It really depends what you will end up doing in the worker.
If the goal is to transform the track, I agree there will be a transferred-back track.
If the goal is track -> WebCodecs -> WebSocket, everything can be done in the worker.

Given lack of APIs in worker to make use of tracks, I am not sure we can add worker examples.
We can however add some examples with cross-origin iframe, say a ‘communication iframe’ transferring a track to a ‘UI iframe’ and conversely the ‘UI frame’ transferring
one of its canvas capture track to the ‘communication’ iframe.

I think https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-extensions/issues/37 <https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-extensions/issues/37> can be used to follow up on this as well.