Re: getThisTabMedia

On 08/10/2020 22:49, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> On 10/8/20 3:56 PM, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
>> On 08/10/2020 21:36, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
>>>
>>>  2. Is the goal performance? E.g. is recording a web conference call
>>> using canvas.captureStream prohibitive?
>>>
>> canvas.captureStream is not a viable option at all, the idea is to be
>> able to capture all the richness of a css+js UI interface, not to
>> have to re implement all of it manually (or via webgl).
>
> So the use case is recording a web conference call? This sounds
> appealing until I consider the limitations. The user would have to:

My use case is not conference recording, but implementing a OBS studio
on a web page.

> I already see requests in the thread for rendering in other
> resolutions, which makes me wonder about the approach.

In my use case, and extending the captureStream to an Iframe content, I
could display the iframe/dom element content with a zoom property of 25%
while still capturing the stream at full resolution.

>> I agree with the IFRAME argument, we should prevent this for
>> capturing contents from outside the domain (and isolated streams).
>
> Yes, though again I don't know if it can be done safely. E.g. what
> would happen if I do
>
> video.src = "foo.mp4"; await wait(5000); video.src =
> "https://vulnerable-site.com/bar.mp4"?

what about fetch("https://vulnerable-site.com/bar.mp4")? I don't
understand the issue here.

>> IMHO, I would prefer to extend to the media capture from DOM elements
>> to the window or document elements (following the same domain
>> security policies, of course).
>
> That's interesting, and might bring in DOM folks that perhaps would be
> able to talk to the security ramifications of exposing DOM rendering
> in this way (fingerprinting, personal data exposure through CSS
> exploits etc).

That seems wise.

Best regards

Sergio