Re: Notes from the WEBRTC WG Virtual Interim on February 27

> On 28 Feb 2020, at 20:22, Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks to Henrik for scribing.  Here are the notes (with some corrections additions from me). Comments welcome.
>
> W3C WEBRTC WG Virtual Interim
> February 27, 2020
>
> Link to slides: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NIHzumglY9cYa4b7rcEbHGVsMam5BiY80VfFDB6cDjQ/ <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1NIHzumglY9cYa4b7rcEbHGVsMam5BiY80VfFDB6cDjQ/>
>
> KITE update (Dr. Alex)
> Status reports from IETF 106 (November 2019). Potential update at IETF 107.
> Browsers: Status report from November 2019 still looks accurate. Lots of green on chrome, less so on Safari and Firefox.
> SFUs: Mix of support, see slide. Medooze, Mediasoup, Janus support Unified Plan, setParameters, addTransceiver, RIDs, repairid and SSRC-less operation.
>
> Issue 642: Turn off device on disabled track (Jan-Ivar)
> track.enabled. can be used to turn on and off camera.
>
> Problem: The hardware light is still on when the track is disabled on some browsers. May surprise users.
>
> Spec not being explicit about behavior => people work around the issue by stopping the track and calling getUserMedia again. Causes re-prompt in Firefox.
>
> Proposal: Mandate “turning light off”, basically.
> Decision: Merge PR.

I think this issue and PR deserves more discussion before reaching consensus/merging.
A few thoughts related to the PR:
- In general, we want to move to a world where starting or restarting capture should be based on user activation.
- We should take into consideration the cases where the user agent does not want to unmute.
- We should take into consideration existing UIs that allow users to dynamically mute/unmute capture for pages that do capture.

I’ll update the related GitHub issue.