Re: Use of getDefaultIceServers

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 1:37 PM youenn fablet <yfablet@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2019, at 7:18 AM, Henrik Boström <hbos@google.com> wrote:
>
> I'm still not convinced that this is within the scope of what we should be
> doing. Are we encouraging users to go into browser settings in order to
> make full use of a website? Are we encouraging users to pass down special
> flags to their browser? Why are we solving the issue on this layer, why is
> it not up to the application where to connect to?
>

> I am sympathetic to the usecase.
> HTTP proxies are being used today without users fiddling with their
> browser configuration.
> Websites do not need to be aware of HTTP proxies either.
>
> That said, I am also unsure what the right solution is.
> Are we sure TURN server is the one and only one solution?

I am also sympathetic to the use case. Locally deployed TURN server is
probably the right solution, but ideally it should be provisioned by the
local DHCP server, similar to HTTP proxies.

Also, I am not sure that getDefaultIceServers is the right interface for
this. It should be a flag to include local TURN servers but they probably
should not be directly exposed to the application. Specifically, local TURN
server credentials should be opaque to the app.

Regards,
Roman Shpount