Re: Call for Consensus (CfC): Publish an updated Working Draft of content-hints

(With co-chair hat off) I object to publishing the current content-hints
as a Working Draft, due to the following issues:

 1. <https://slack-redir.net/link?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fw3c%2Fmst-content-hint%2Fissues%2F28&v=3>https://github.com/w3c/mst-content-hint/issues/24
 2. https://github.com/w3c/mst-content-hint/issues/28
 3. https://github.com/w3c/mst-content-hint/issues/29
 4. https://github.com/w3c/mst-content-hint/issues/30

I just filed three of these, but they're based on concerns I raised 9
months ago in

https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/101#issuecomment-442709686

A diff of the Editor's Draft vs TR show the only substantive change to
be 3 lines of WebIDL added:

+ partial interface MediaStreamTrack {
+   attribute DOMString contentHint;
+ };

However, this WebIDL does not appear to be backed by sufficient
normative implementer guidance to ensure web compatibility around the
functionality it enables. Lack of specificity tends to favor and cement
implementation behaviors of the dominant browser.

In my view the draft needs to do more to address redundancy with
existing functionality, including clarifying its interactions with that
functionality, and provide stronger assurances than a "hint", in a
testable way.

There are parts I find promising, like the potential for a simpler
alternative to applyConstraints:

console.log(track.getSettings().echoCancellation); // true
console.log(track.getSettings().noiseSuppression); //
trueconsole.log(track.getSettings().autoGainControl); // true track.contentHint  =  "music";
console.log(track.getSettings().echoCancellation);// false
console.log(track.getSettings().noiseSuppression); // falseconsole.log(track.getSettings().autoGainControl);  // false

But this would need to work consistently across browsers, which this
draft doesn't ensure. If web developers cannot have confidence that
these hints will do anything, then we shouldn't add them.

.: Jan-Ivar :.