Re: ICE freezing and Bandwidth Estimation

On May 23, 2018, at 16:49, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com> wrote:

> I'm not saying anyone would do it, because it's kind of madness.  But it's a theoretically-possible madness.
>
> Here's a simple proof:  we know that unbundled m-lines can have transports connected to different hosts (with different DTLS certs, etc).  And those hosts can be browsers, and those browsers would be different PeerConnections.
>
> The congestion control might not work well, but ICE will.

[BA] In a small conference use case, it is common for a browser to have multiple PeerConnections, each to a different mesh participant.  Since many conferences are in practice small (less than 4 participants), this is quite a practical scenario.

An expeditious way to establish such a mesh conference is to send an Offer that can be responded to by multiple mesh participants (e.g. broadcast the Offer to a Room, and have other participants respond to the Offerer) so that the conference can get started in a single RTT.  Requirements:

a. Support for parallel forking.  This is what lead to the IceGather/IceTransport separation in ORTC.
b. Need to be able to construct multiple DtlsTransports from the same local certificate.
c. Need to restrict aggregate outgoing bandwidth for all mesh connections.