Re: webrtc nv and whatwg streams

On 6/9/2018 2:52 PM, Sergio Garcia Murillo wrote:
> On 09/06/2018 19:41, Randell Jesup wrote:
>> Not to belabor a point here, but if this is to occur on the main
>> thread there's a real problem with this API (and this could occur I
>> suppose, with a bunch of additional work elsewhere in the spec, on a
>> Worker).
>>
>> Even on a Worker, outside of emscriptem/WASM code that carefully
>> doesn't throw garbage, there will be GC pauses causing hiccups in the
>> stream - potentially long (in a realtime sense).
>>

> Fully agree. But if all components are implemented natively there
> should be no need to go into the main thread or call any js code once
> the streams are attached and the pipe chain is created. If someone
> wants to reimplement any of the components in js or add custom ones,
> then, they will have to be really careful, but they will not impact on
> the performance of the rest of the people using the APIs.
>
> Not sure what is the expected whatwg stream behavior and if this is
> supported/possible, but both in their use cases and the design would
> be quite similar to what we are trying to achieve.

Correct - if these are all predefined nodes (or something in WASM that
doesn't throw garbage, probably), then you won't be subject to GC (or
event queue) delays.  I may have been jumping the gun on suggesting that
this was a problem with streams here (it's a saturday and I'm packing
for a conference).  If, however, any of these takes a trip through
JS/event queues, then it's problematic (like a number of the proposals
that had JS involved in packetization and other network and media-input
related actions).

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com
Please please please don't email randell-ietf@jesup.org!  Way too much spam