Re: A very short extension spec: DSCP codepoint control

On 11/29/2017 06:27 AM, Cullen Jennings (fluffy) wrote:
> I would be fine with defining *two* experimental priorities of say
>
> parameters.encodings[0].qosPriority =
> parameters.encodings[0].bandwidthPriority =
>
> but if don't think the experiment can redefine
>
> parameters.encodings[0].priority =
>
> to mean something different than in means in the non experiment case. That would become an X- prefix problem for turning off the experiment.

I thought that at first, but found when I worked through the states that
adding an extra control gives no value.
There are 16 states (4x4) we want to reach, and with 2 controls we can
reach all of them - 4 can be reached in 2 different ways (by having
networkPriority unset, or having networkPriority set to the same value
as priority).

Having 3 controls (qosPriority, schedulePriority, priority) gives 64
states, which means that each of the 16 states we want to reach can be
reached 4 different ways - not an improvement.

My personal thought is that we'll end up with only 4 states we want to
reach (the 4 designated by setting "priority" only). But I don't think
we have data to be sure of that, so I want to enable the
experimentation, as requested.

> ( as a side note, network priority seems like a name that could cause confusion)

only if there's something other than DSCP-rules to confuse it with. Is
there?

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.