Re: Recording of divs on a page

On 11/19/2017 11:24 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> The MediaRecorder API is defined to record media streams (audio or
> video) on a page.
>
> I remember there were discussions in the past to allow recording of
> divs on a page rather than just MediaStream objects. Does anybody know
> the status of such discussions? I wasn't able to find any specs about
> it.
>
> I'm asking because it would be nice to record the actual Web page
> rather than a screenshare of the Webpage...

I don't remember discussion of recording divs (though there may have
been)... though there has been discussion of recording tabs.

Firefox has a tab-sharing API, but it's not accessible by web apps at
this time; it was used in the former built-in Hello service. Chrome also
has one, as chromeMediaSource: tab, but I believe that's only available
to installed Chrome-only extensions. Generic use (as in Hello - not the
current tab) requires some API for selecting the tab as well.

There are significant security issues about sharing data that may not be
visible to the user, and more to the point explaining to them the
privacy/security impact of this (thus why Chrome is limiting it).

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com
Please please please don't email randell-ietf@jesup.org!  Way too much spam