[webrtc-pc] RTCStats timestamp source ambiguous

From: jesup via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:52:53 +0000
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
jesup has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-pc:

== RTCStats timestamp source ambiguous ==
RTCStats has a timestamp member -- "has a timestamp value [...]
associated with this object".  It's somewhat unclear what the source
of this timestamp should be - perhaps the time the data returned for
the child object of RTCStats was last updated.  Even that has some
ambiguity in the case of remote RTP stats - is it the time they were
measured (NTP time from the RTCP packet they came in on), or the time
they were received locally?

Currently in Firefox we use the RTCP NTP time.  I haven't reviewed
where we get the timestamp values for other stats.

We could expand this definition slightly, or push that down to the
Stats spec to define for each derived dictionary what
RTCStats.timestamp should be sourced from.

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-pc/issues/729 using your GitHub account