Re: maxHeight and maxWidth

On 2/17/2016 3:15 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> If upscaling is not allowed, then I it's impossible to meet a
> requirement of "must be exactly 90 pixels in height".  ​

I think this may have been mis-stated, or mis-understood.  My
understanding is that some applications are going to display thumbnails
in a fixed-size bar, or may be sent to other things that in their
layout/UI/etc have a fixed-space for it, and for those putting an upper
limit on size makes a ton of sense.  If the size is smaller than that -
that's ok, you scale it up to the desired size *at the receiver*; you
don't spend bits sending upscaled video on the wire.  If for some
unknown reason the receiver can't scale it up - it decodes it and shows
it letterboxed/inset/whatever.

I think layouts (both in-browser and in fixed-function devices) will
often have a preferred thumbnail size - or will only occasionally change
the preferred size.

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com
Please please please don't email randell-ietf@jesup.org!  Way too much spam