Re: maxHeight and maxWidth

From: Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2016 03:38:10 +0000
To: Adam Roach <abr@mozilla.com>
CC: Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On Feb 12, 2016, at 19:21, Adam Roach <abr@mozilla.com> wrote:

> The clone/constrain/send solution has the same flaws in this case as it does in the general case. We already rejected that approach.

[BA] The major flaw of cloning is the potential for simulcast streams to converge.  That flaw was addressed in RTCRtpEncodingParameters by introducing resolutionScaleDownBy - to ensure the streams remain distinct.

However, if only maxFramerate and maxHeight/maxWidth are used in the encoding parameters, it would appear to me that the risk of stream convergence is reintroduced - but with a lot more complexity than cloning using the same parameters in constraints.

What am I missing?