Re: Proposed resolution on the "change booleans to enums" issue

On 2016-04-19 18:53, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Over the last few weeks, we’ve had a long drawn out discussion based
> around the following github issues and PRs:
>
> - PR #466 “Use an enum to describe directionality of RTP stream”
> - PR #467 “Use enum for voiceActivityDetection”
> - PR #471 “Use enum for RTCDataChannal’s ordered attribute”
>
> These are based on issue #375, “true as default values for dictionary is
> bad practice”.
>
> Among the arguments fielded are:
>
> - Following the WebIDL spec’s advice is a Good Thing in general
> - Changing interfaces that people have implemented for aesthetic reasons
> is a Bad Thing in general
> - Double negatives (disableX = false) is a Bad Thing and should be avoided

I think this argument is a red herring. The double negative would
basically only exist in our IDL definitions, since there's no good
reason to explicitly specify the default value again. When used in code
it would actually be { disableVoiceActivityDetection: true }, which is
pretty descriptive of what the intention is: Disable the feature that is
enabled by default.

Do I care about this enough to block us from progressing? Probably not.

/Adam