Re: Resolution changes

On 9/14/15 9:17 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> On 09/14/2015 02:38 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
>> What happens when MediaStreamTrack changes resolution to something
>> outside of the negotiated envelope of the session?  There is no
>> language in the spec.  Presumably if the resolution can be reduced,
>> reduce it.  Increasing resolution might be the only option we have in
>> the case that the session has a resolution floor.
> Section 5:
>
> Let's look at a slightly different situation starting from the same
> point. In this case, instead of the first track attempting to apply a
> conflicting constraint, the user physically locks the camera into a
> mode where the fill light is on. At this point the source can no
> longer satisfy the second track's mandatory constraint that the fill
> light be off. The second track is transitioned into the muted state
> and receives an|overconstrained|
> <http://w3c.github.io/mediacapture-main/getusermedia.html#event-mediastreamtrack-overconstrained>event.
>
> More info in section 11.1.1.

Constraints are properties of the application, not the browser, and no
constraints were violated here.

> > What happens when aspect ratio changes?  Letterbox & pillars?
>
> That's a better question. I remember discussing this subject in Boston, with one option being that one could have a constraint (or constraint-like setting) that chose one of the defined values for the object-fit CSS attribute: fill, contain, cover, none or scale-down.
>
> https://css-tricks.com/almanac/properties/o/object-fit/
>
> But nobody's suggested text in the intervening 2 years, so I guess it's not that important.
> (My suggestion would be to default to "contain", which causes letterbox and pillars.)

In browser-to-browser cases, this should not be an issue. In Firefox we
already see this with replaceTrack: https://jsfiddle.net/oyabqd0j/
(shows changing dimensions, aspect and frame-rate without problems). No
need for letterbox or pillars.

I'm no expert on SDP and "negotiated envelopes" but that sounds like
edge-cases talking to legacy or special hardware, which may explain why
no-one cares.

I think we should crop if this ever happens. FWIW, getUserMedia in
Chrome crops. E.g. try 640x360 on OSX.

.: Jan-Ivar :.