Re: Towards Simulcast

So, I generally agree with this, but there is one additional point, in-line.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Adam Roach <abr@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Coming out of the MMUSIC interim meeting, I wanted to take a step back and
> look at the moving pieces that would be necessary to get simulcast into
> WebRTC for the 1.0 timeframe. At a high level, we need three things to
> happen if this is to succeed:
>

>    1. Define a simulcast API in the WebRTC 1.0 specification
>    2. Get the simulcast draft in the IETF on a trajectory to finish
>    inside 6 months
>    3. Get the RID draft in the IETF on a trajectory to finish inside 6
>    months
>

> At the moment, we have a reasonable API proposal on the table (Peter's
> "Plan X" seems as good as anything else).
>
> The simulcast draft is pretty mature. It's been baking for a year now, and
> the changelog from -01 to -02 lists only 4 changes: adding RID, adding the
> ability to specify codec preference ordering, and two editorial updates.

​I would add that there seems now to be broad agreement that using the
payload type alone runs the risk of exhaustion​.  Working through that at
the MMUSIC interim took a bit of time, but I think there were several folks
who had initially been skeptical who saw the issue in a new light.  That's
important, in my view, because it clears one of the critical objections to
working on RID--whether it is required to achieve scalable simulcast.

regards,

Ted