Re: DataChannels in Workers

Hi all,

I’ve been following this thread with great excitement! I know several projects that having DataChannels in WebWorkers (!== ServiceWorkers to avoid confusion) can make them from a practical and fun demo to something thats actually usable by a lot of users.

One of them, would be webrtc-explorer (for ref: http://blog.daviddias.me/2015/03/22/enter-webrtc-explorer <http://blog.daviddias.me/2015/03/22/enter-webrtc-explorer>) where I found empirically that a ‘Store and Forward’ message network approach can drag the browser down and make all UI interactions unusable, when the number of data events and write is high. Projects like WebTorrent (webtorrent.io), PANDO (Scalable and Reliable Dynamic Array-based Computing on the Web, a new endeavour by Erick Lavoie) and IPFS (the browser version) can benefit greatly from it.

Right now, there isn’t also a way to prioritise messages once we connect to more than one peer at the same time, which becomes critical in a single threaded environment where a browser can have hundreds of Data Channels open.

One thing I haven’t understood completely is what are the actual implications of enabling the WebRTC API to be accessible from a WebWorker, if any?

Thank you,