Re: PR for adding RtpSender.transport, RtpReceiver.transport, RTCDtlsTransport, RTCIceTransport, etc

From: Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 12:23:12 +0000
To: Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>
CC: "Makaraju, Maridi Raju (Raju)" <Raju.Makaraju@alcatel-lucent.com>, "Eric Rescorla" <ekr@rtfm.com>, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 06/23/2015 10:38 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
Does DtlsTransport really have a "disconnected"/retrying state?  I guess we could make it "disconnected" any time the underlying IceTransport is disconnected, but that adds complexity.  What value do we gain to make it worthwhile?
[BA] I think there is no "disconnected" state in DtlsTransport.  Here is the proposed definition of the various states in ORTC API:

4.7 enum RTCDtlsTransportState

RTCDtlsTransportState indicates the state of the DTLS transport.

enum RTCDtlsTransportState {
    "new<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#idl-def-RTCDtlsTransportState.new>",
    "connecting<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#idl-def-RTCDtlsTransportState.connecting>",
    "connected<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#idl-def-RTCDtlsTransportState.connected>",
    "closed<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#idl-def-RTCDtlsTransportState.closed>",
    "failed<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#idl-def-RTCDtlsTransportState.failed>"
};

Enumeration description
new

The RTCDtlsTransport<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#idl-def-RTCDtlsTransport> object has been created and has not started negotiating yet.

connecting

DTLS is in the process of negotiating a secure connection. Once a secure connection is negotiated and DTLS-SRTP<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#dfn-dtls-srtp> has derived keys (but prior to verification of the remote fingerprint, enabled by calling start()), incoming media can flow through.

connected

DTLS has completed negotiation of a secure connection (including DTLS-SRTP<http://internaut.com:8080/~baboba/ortc/ortc-7-03-2015.html#dfn-dtls-srtp> and remote fingerprint verification). Outgoing media can now flow through.

closed

The DTLS connection has been closed intentionally via a call to stop(). Calling transport.stop() will also result in a transition to the "closed" state.

failed

The DTLS connection has been closed as the result of an error (such as a DTLS alert or a failure to validate the remote fingerprint).