Re: Call for comments: New charter for WebRTC Working Group

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 13:25:22 +0100
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
CC: "Cullen Jennings (fluffy)" <fluffy@cisco.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 01/18/2015 08:54 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

>     >
>     > Specifically I would like the text in
>     >
>     >  The working group will, once  WebRTC 1.0: Real-time
>     Communication Between Browsers  is considered stable enough,
>     consider working on a new set of APIsfor real-time communication.
>     >
>     > changed to
>     >
>     >  The working group will, once  WebRTC 1.0: Real-time
>     Communication Between Browsers  is finished (at CR), the consider
>     working on a new set of low level object oriented APIs for
>     real-time communication.
>
>     The wording was chosen to give ourselves wiggle room to "do what's
>     right".
>
>     I have never taken an API spec from PR to CR, so I have very little
>     insight in how much of the time spent there is actual work that should
>     be blocking other things, and how much is "waiting for someone to
>     cross
>     the last T".
>
>     I'd like to hear comments from others on whether "considered stable
>     enough" or "finished (at CR)" is the more reasonable milestone for
>     "the
>     WG will try to encompass the 1.1 work".
>

> I would prefer to have a concrete milestone, not a promise to make an
> assessment.
>
> I would be willing to listen to arguments about whether PR, CR, etc.
> are the right
> milestones.

I now realize that I had messed up the process in my head.

It's WD -> CR -> PR -> Rec, so CR is (I think) the earliest time that
can possibly be taken as "stable" - so Cullen's suggestion would be no
later than (and might be earlier than) the "stable enough" that I was
suggesting.

I'm fine with Cullen's text, then.