Re: Javascript based browser API to send/receive the RTCP APP messages

On 2/18/2015 2:18 PM, Justin Uberti wrote:
> If you use BUNDLE, these disadvantages go away entirely.

I agree.  (Though per below, you need to actually do DTLS instead of
just using it to key DTLS-SRTP).  As BUNDLE is the way everything is
heading, even if it uses some extra resources in the meantime that issue
will disappear soon (likely by the time you deploy in any volume, or
before).

> Right now there are no plans to support RTCP APP messaging in the 1.0
> timeframe.

Right.  And I'll re-iterate what I said (which was not "support" for APP
messages):
"If you need to talk to legacy equipment that requires RTCP APPs, you
have to be going through a webrtc->legacy gateway anyways, so in the
gateway translate DataChannel datagrams to RTCP APPs."

Just because an RTP application you're gatewaying to do X doesn't mean
WebRTC should/will do X...  RTCP APP's are (as I said) a hack to
implement an unreliable, ugly data channel in legacy RTP applications.

    Randell Jesup

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com